A Taoist Temple

A Taoist Temple
The Taoist temple just down the road from where I live, here in Feng Yuan, Taiwan

Kenting Beach!

Kenting Beach!
Me heading into the beautiful South China Sea

Friday, September 17, 2010

What I've been up to . . .

Well a lot has happened sense we all got here, including a couple of birthdays, Meg's and Libby's to be exact. We apparently have adopted "Style" as the restaurant of choice for said functions!

Below is Libby's birthday happiness!

From Left to Right: Kevin, Meg, Katy, Laura, Kristi, Lein, Devin, Libby, Erin, Whitney.
(Allison was at the chiropractor . . . I think)
(Kevin is a friend of Berhan [our school] and on the Stake Single Adults Activities Chair . . . or something like that ;)

Another great event was being locked out of my apartment (which is just the 4th floor of the school) for 2 1/2 hours!!!!! I had forgotten my keys and Lein, the only one home, was asleep. :(
Well, I had already has a long day with a solo COSTCO run and failing to hail a taxi for over a half an hour! I had decided to just walk to the train station, but everyone (the 2 random people I stopped to ask for directions and the couple of people the second person stopped to ask) said it was too far to walk, although Whitney has done it and said it was fine, anyway needless to say the last guy I stopped succeeded to hail a taxi within 30 seconds (I don't know what's wrong with me. :(
Thank heavens for that guy, because it started pouring right before we got to the train station. Once back in Feng Yuan I decided to stop by a 7-11 and buy dinner, I thank heaven for this too cause I would have been very hungry for 2 1/2 hours (I might have broken into the chocolate chips I had gone to COSTCO for).
Well I probably spent 40 min. in front of the gate at the side of the school pressing the button for someone to let me in, getting bitten by bugs, eating my 7-11 meal, and asking the very confused hair dressers next door to use their phone. Finally I decided to attempt jumping the 5 foot wall. I found a bin outside the school so I stood on that and tried to jump . . . painful . . . but guess what!!! I finally made it to the position of draping myself over the wall! At that point I was able to use what very little arm muscles I have to lift my torso up and, in the most awkward way possible I'm sure, I straddled the wall. As I attempted to lower my self down I found an extremely convenient stack of bricks waiting for my foot! :)
For the next 2ish hours I pressed the call button at the back door every 20 seconds (yes that is how long it plays for . . . yes it attempts to play some classical song and it stops before it resolves the note! I thought I would have that song stuck in my head forever, but I can't remember it now ;) Well at least I found bug spray! I also played some basket ball, making more than 10 shots one of which was backwards! ;) Below is a picture of what the back of the school looks like during the day (except now there is a 'playground' that I explored for like a min. No that's not grass, it's that squishy green playground matting!

The back of Berhan!



So for some reason I was sitting in my room when one of the secretaries knocks on my door and sticks her head (she usually just comes all the way in) but this time she had a kid with her, one of my students poked his head in and says, "My mom told me to give this to you." She had made 'chocolate' cookies/crackers with peanuts, and extremely dark chocolates. It was so random, but really fabulous!


This week another student came up to me at the beginning of class and said, "My grandma told me to give this to you." and he gave me two peices of apple and a drinkable yogurt. Randomness!


Saturday, September 11th, 2010

My second trip to Taipei:

We took the 5:30am bus to Taipei and made the 8:00am session. At 11am is we met up with the girls who did baptisms and we stopped by the Cheng Kai Shek memorial before we did other things (when I get those pics I post again).
Me in front of the memorial, with Kristi, Meg, Whitney, Laura, Erin, and Liz (another ILP teacher teaching in Chungwa) in the background




Also at the memorial is a path of stones that you walk on and hits all the pressure points in you feet thus making you feel better. The path is probably 50 feet long and only two of us walked the entire way (it's not comfortable, but I didn't think it hurt that bad). The thing is my headache was gone after that, now I had just drank a lot of needed water and we were now in the shade, but who's to say that didn't contribute?
The stones are cemented in to point up, if you can't tell. I would do it again. . .


No comments:

Post a Comment